The City of Albemarle contracts with Waste Management (704-982-1224) to provide solid waste collection services for residents of the City. The following guidelines for the disposal of your solid waste, yard waste and household appliances help keep down the cost of these services and to ensure the City’s neighborhoods are kept clean and attractive.
- Carts should not be placed at the curb for pick-up prior to 6:00 p.m. on the day prior to collection, and should be removed from the curb by 7:00 p.m. the day of collection.
- All garbage should be placed inside plastic bags. This helps reduce litter and keeps the roll-out cart odor free.
- Household garbage should never be placed loose at the curb.
- Place carts with the front facing the street and the handle toward the house.
- Do not place dirt, rocks, building materials, liquids, or animal waste in carts.
- Excess garbage should be bagged and placed next to the cart.
- Carts should not be removed from the residence for any reason.
- Carts damaged as a result of normal wear and tear will be replaced at no expense to the owner. Carts damaged due to abuse must be replaced at the owner's expense.
- If your cart needs to be replaced or you are moving, please notify Waste Management at 704-982-1224.
OTHER RESIDENTIAL WASTE
- Household trash is collected once a week on the same day as garbage collection.
- Place items at curb or roadside by 6:00 p.m. the day prior to collection.
- Residents are allowed up to four cubic yards of household trash per week. Any household trash in excess of four cubic yards should be held until the following week or residents may contract with Waste Management for special collection.
- Small or loose items should be bagged or boxed to ensure collection.
COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL AND INSTITUTIONAL WASTE
- Collection of commercial, industrial and institutional generated waste is not a part of the City’s residential services.
- Collection of this waste must be arranged for separately and can be removed by one of several franchised commercial haulers.
- Yard waste is collected once a week on the same day as garbage collection.
- Residents are allowed up to four (4) cubic yards per week. Any yard waste in excess of four cubic yards should be held until the following week.
- Residents should set out yard waste no more than 1 to 2 days prior to collection.
- Please consolidate your limb piles into one pile for collection.
- Small piles can be placed in your roll-out container.
- Tree limbs should be cut in portions six feet or less in length.
- Small items must be placed in bags weighing no more than 50 pounds. This includes grass and shrubbery clippings, pine straw, very small limbs, etc.
- Loose grass clipping should neverbe placed at the curb. Property owners can be fined up to $100.00 per occurrence for this.
- Make sure the bags are of ample size and strength to hold their contents when lifted.
- Yard waste should not be mixed with any other type of waste.
IMPORTANT- If you hire a tree service or landscaping contractor, they must remove
the waste they produce. Please make sure they have provided for disposal in their contract. Also, Waste Management cannot collect any single item weighing over 250 pounds, such as stumps and tree trunks.
- Loose leaves will be collected from October through March.
- Bagged leaves are collected year-round if placed in bags weighing no more than 50lbs.
- Leaves should be raked to the curb by 7:00 a.m. of the advertised collection day.
- Do not mix leaves with other types of yard waste or place bricks or rocks in the leaves.
- The master leaf collection schedule is advertised each year at the beginning of leaf season.
- Appliances will be picked up on a call-in basis. Residents wishing to have an appliance collected should contact Waste Management at 982-1224.
- Appliances are collected on Friday only and should not be placed out more than one day in advance.
Please do not place these items out for collection by Waste Management. Any of these items placed out for collection will be tagged by Waste Management and will be required to be collected and removed at the property owner’s expense.
- Construction materials
- Building materials, tires, batteries, paint, pesticides, hazardous or infectious waste, or liquid or closed containers.
- Any loose garbage or debris
- Contractor cut limbs or yard waste
The violation of any of the following rules and procedures will result in the property owner being contacted by the City to correct the situation. Remediation will be the responsibility of the property. Continued failure
to comply with the rules will result in the issuance of a civil fine of up to $100.00 per day.
If your scheduled collection day is affected by a holiday, Waste Management will publish an alternate collection schedule in the Stanly News and Press. Collection will be rescheduled for the same week.
If you have any questions regarding these services, please contact the City's contractor Waste Management at 704-982-1224 or the City of Albemarle Public Works Department at 704-984-9665.