The City of Albemarle offers many exciting employment opportunities. Our employees receive a very compensative plan with excellent benefits and with a very rewarding career.
Please note that the chosen applicants will be offered the job contingent upon passing a substance abuse test.
How to Apply for a City of Albemarle position:
- Presently employed City personnel may apply directly to the City Human Resources Director.
- All qualified applicants must complete a City of Albemarle Employment Application, which can also be obtained from the Albemarle NCWorks local office, 944 N First Street, Albemarle, NC.
- Completed application may be submitted in person to NCWorks or the City Human Resources Office via email, fax, or mail.
The City of Albemarle is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Police Officer I
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$16.16/hour ($35,273/year)
- Posted Date:04/04/2019 8:33 AM
- Deadline to Apply:04/30/2019
Deadline to Apply: Tuesday, April 30
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Patrol Captain
Location/Hours: Varied locations in Albemarle, NC/12 Hour Rotating Shifts
Performs a full range of general law enforcement duties in the patrol division. Work includes patrolling the City during a shift in a police car, on foot, by bicycle, or other appropriate means preventing, detecting and investigating disturbances and crime; investigating traffic accidents, helping victims, and performing traffic control work; apprehending suspects; testifying in court; and executing related assignments.
• Patrols streets in a police car, on foot, by bicycle or other appropriate means; checks doors and windows; examines premises of unoccupied residences or buildings; detects unusual conditions, may maintain surveillance and observation for stolen cars, missing persons, or suspects; reports dangerous or defective streets, sidewalks, traffic lights, or other hazardous conditions.
• Responds to calls for assistance, complaints, suspicious activity, domestic disputes, loud and disruptive behavior, and other needs; completes calls by determining true nature of the situation and taking whatever legal or persuasive action is warranted.
• Investigates traffic accidents; issues traffic citations; directs traffic and participates in other emergency operation activities.
• Performs investigations of accidents and possible crimes through observation, questioning witnesses, and gathering physical evidence; performs investigative tasks; arrests and processes criminal suspects.
• Advises the public on laws and local ordinances; testifies in court; executes search warrants; serves papers as needed.
• Regulates and directs vehicular traffic at busy times or when traffic signal malfunctions or accidents require; maintains order at public gatherings.
• May be assigned to special School Resource Officer or Traffic division work.
• Operates a two-way radio to receive instructions and information from or to report information to police headquarters.
• Prepares detailed records and reports of activities.
• Uses a variety of software programs to prepare incident reports, perform research, check driver’s licenses and vehicle registrations, check for outstanding warrants and related research.
• Performs special projects as assigned by the department such as helping with background investigations of applicants, helping install or maintain security of technology, and helping coordinate in-service training.
• Age 20.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
• Possession of or ability to obtain a valid N.C. Driver's License.
• May reside within Stanly County or adjoining counties, but where the qualifications of the prospective employees are substantially the same, City residents will receive first consideration.
• Must be a United States citizen.
• Applicants must undergo background investigation, fingerprint checks.
• Applicants successfully completing the background investigation shall undergo a battery of skills test, psychological evaluation and physical fitness test.
• Applicants with satisfactory results from these tests will appear before an Oral Review Board.
• The chosen applicants will be offered the job contingent upon passing substance abuse testing.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork. EEO