The City of Albemarle offers many exciting employment opportunities. Our employees receive a very compensative plan with excellent benefits and with a very rewarding career.
Please note that the chosen applicants will be offered the job contingent upon passing a substance abuse test.
How to Apply for a City of Albemarle position:
- Presently employed City personnel may apply directly to the City Human Resources Director.
- All qualified applicants must complete a City of Albemarle Employment Application, which can also be obtained from the Albemarle NCWorks local office, 944 N First Street, Albemarle, NC.
- Completed application may be submitted in person to NCWorks or the City Human Resources Office via email, fax, or mail.
- Email: Opportunity@albemarlenc.gov
- Fax number: (704) 984-9470
- Mailing address: PO Box 190, Albemarle, NC 28002
The City of Albemarle is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
Assistant Public Works Director/Business Manager
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$57,000-$65,000/year based on experience
- Posted Date:05/20/2019 12:33 PM
Reports To: Public Works Director
Location/Hours: Albemarle, NC/Varies
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This position is responsible for assisting the Director of Public Works in providing administrative support and directing various divisions and operations of the Department of Public Works. Plans, directs and manages assigned activities, projects and division staff of street maintenance, landfill, fleet maintenance and warehouse. This position also serves as acting Director of Public Works in Director’s absence. This position is generally office based; however, may require visits to job sites as needed.
• Assist in the supervision of the activities of street and traffic maintenance, solid waste management, fleet maintenance, warehouse operations and capital projects planning and construction operations.
• Provides input and strategies for departmental structure and organization; assists in the development of short and long term goals through budget/CIP.
• Participates in preparation of related operating budgets; monitors and approves expenditures, monitors general fund budget, Powell Bill budget and expenditures and Landfill enterprise fund; assists in the preparation and approval of purchase orders, prepares specifications/RFP’s and bid packages and assists with contract awards and oversight.
• Plans the work for short-term goals and assist the Director on all issues pertaining to long-term planning and activities, policies, budget, capital improvement, organization and management.
• Oversees and ensures compliance with safety and related regulations.
• Administers personnel programs, including hiring selection, training, skill-based programs, performance evaluation and recommends salary increases and/or promotions; deals with employee matters, resolves conflicts, counsels and disciplines subordinates in consultation with the Director and perform job performance evaluations.
• Assist and coordinate in any NCDOT related items on DOT streets within city limits including street closures, snow removal, street maintenance, drainage concerns and resurfacing.
• Assist in coordinating departmental emergency response and disaster preparedness plans, oversees and directs clean-up and recovery efforts in respected divisions within the department; adjusts FIP as needed.
• Develops and monitors 10-year Facilities Improvement Plan (FIP) and coordinates with various departments.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a bachelor’s degree in a course of study related to the public works, civil engineering field, public administration, business administration and/or construction management; considerable experience in capital projects management and public sector accounting, including some related public works supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork.