The City of Albemarle offers many exciting employment opportunities. Our employees receive a very compensative plan with excellent benefits and with a very rewarding career.
Please note that the chosen applicants will be offered the job contingent upon passing a substance abuse test.
How to Apply for a City of Albemarle position:
- Presently employed City personnel may apply directly to the City Human Resources Director.
- All qualified applicants must complete a City of Albemarle Employment Application, which can also be obtained from the Albemarle NCWorks local office, 944 N First Street, Albemarle, NC.
- Completed application may be submitted in person to NCWorks or the City Human Resources Office via email, fax, or mail.
- Email: Opportunity@albemarlenc.gov
- Fax number: (704) 984-9470
- Mailing address: PO Box 190, Albemarle, NC 28002
The City of Albemarle is an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$53,000 - $57,000 (depending on experience)
- Posted Date:06/25/2019 2:25 PM
Location/Hours: Albemarle, NC
Hiring Range: $53,000 - $57,000 (depending on experience)
Closing Date: Application review will begin July 19, 2019. Position is open until filled.
Performs highly skilled, professional and administrative work in the Planning and Development Services Department pertaining to land use and zoning and provides a broad scope of planning services for the City. Administers specified planning activities, performs studies, presents staff reports and supervises other staff in such endeavors as needed. Provides staff oversight and administrative assistance to various boards and commissions. Enforces the City zoning and development ordinances.
This position serves the role of Zoning Administrator for the City and department head in the absence of the Planning Director. Works under general supervision of the Planning Director.
• Provides technical assistance to the general public and other governmental agencies on planning, land use, nuisance, and related matters.
• Assists property owners and others in completing various forms and applications.
• Coordinates and maintains close working relationships with multiple city departments, county and state agencies and private entities.
• Works closely with Stanly County Central Permitting to process and approve inter-agency development coordination forms and final certificates of occupancy.
• Researches, coordinates, prepares and presents amendments to city land use and development ordinances at the request of the Planning Director.
• Researches, coordinates and prepares grant proposals for various planning and development programs and projects administered by the City; maintains files and data;
• Serves as administrator and/or secretary to the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and other boards and commissions as assigned.
• Performs research as necessary to gather and analyze statistical narrative data in preparation for the Planning and Zoning Board, Historic Resources Commission and City Council and appears before such Boards as needed.
• Visits subdivisions and/or tracts of land under consideration of rezoning, variance, conditional use permits, etc., to determine applicability of various city ordinances;
• Administers and enforces the City watershed ordinance.
• Leads in the coordination of updates to and creation of long-range planning projects and documents such as the City’s Land Use Plan and various associated elements.
• Lead responsibility for special projects of a sensitive and comprehensive nature, and/or responsibility to direct a major complex planning project.
• Investigates zoning violations and/or nuisance complaints such as weeded lots, junk cars, sign violations, etc., and takes appropriate action to alleviate the violation.
• Takes an active role in the review of site plans, subdivisions and other development plans, ensuring compliance with City zoning ordinances and state statutes.
• Serves on other boards, panels and groups as deemed necessary by the Planning Director.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Desirable Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Planning or related field and a minimum of 3 years work experience in city planning, local government or other similar position providing the candidate with a background in land use, zoning, long range planning and code enforcement is required. Candidates with 5 years or more of relevant experience, additional supervisory experience and/or a Master’s Degree in Planning or related fields are preferred.
• Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the State of North Carolina.
• Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (ACIP) and/or NC Association of Zoning Officials (CZO) or the ability to obtain such certification soon after hiring is preferred.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork.
The City of Albemarle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City selects applicants for employment based on job-related knowledge, skills, and abilities without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or political influence.
The City of Albemarle is dedicated to providing benefits that meet the needs of our employees and their families, while being competitive and cost effective. We offer the following:
• Medical insurance for individual employees provided at 100%; competitive rates for dependent coverage
• Paid vacation and sick leave
• Paid holidays (12 per year)
• Dental/vision insurance
• Membership in the North Carolina Local Government Employees' Retirement System
• Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for medical and childcare expenses
• Paid Life Insurance