City Attorney - Employment Opportunity
This position plans and directs a variety of legal initiatives for the City, including evaluating and writing ordinances, policies, and contracts. The employee must exercise considerable independent judgment and initiative. The employee is appointed by and reports to the Mayor and City Council. Work is performed in cooperation with the City Manager who assigns legal issues to the attorney.
- Supports and models the identified vision, values and behaviors of the organization.
- Plans, directs and coordinates comprehensive legal services for the city.
- Provides counsel to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, staff, committees and commissions.
- Represents or supervises representation of the City in civil matters and in administrative hearings.
- Oversees and coordinates contract legal services including but not limited to prosecution and supplemental legal services.
- Researches and analyzes complex legal situation and presents legal alternatives.
- Drafts documents on behalf of the departments, including letters, contracts, agreements, leases, ordinances, waivers, regulations, proposed departmental policies and procedures and opinions in response to legal questions.
- Drafts and interprets City ordinances and resolutions.
- Assists in responding to inquiries from the media, citizens, and discovery requests.
- Conducts research on pertinent legal issues, keeps abreast of recent legal decisions.
- Participates in the City’s short and long-range planning to assure proper consideration of legal issues.
- Participates in decisions related to general City policies and operations.
- Reviews proposed and enacted state and federal legislation for impact to the City.
- Participates with other departments to refine and develop code provisions.
- Prepares materials for and makes presentations to elected officials and the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility
Additional Job Duties
- Negotiates contracts and agreements with outside agencies.
- Attends meetings with the City’s Leadership Team as needed.
- Serves on and participates in various employee committees.
Knowledge. Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of North Carolina General Statutes and of local ordinances governing all aspects of municipal government.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public policy administration is preferred.
- Ability to evaluate complex issues and formulate solutions.
- Ability to evaluate and write complex municipal ordinances.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental heads, government officials, and other City employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral formats.
Education and Experience
Graduation from a law school of recognized standing and considerable experience as a practicing attorney, some of which shall have been in the practice of municipal law. Two years of experience in practicing in the field of municipal law is preferred.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina.
- Valid driver's license in the State of North Carolina.
- Must establish residence in Stanly County or the city within six months of the date of employment.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork.
The City of Albemarle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
NEED MORE INFO? Check out our Brochure for this role.